CBD is a compound found in the cannabis plant. It is known for its anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties, and comes in a range of different forms, from the most well-known CBD oils and capsules to CBD gummies UK consumers have grown to love and other sweet treats.
In recent years, CBD has gained popularity in the skincare industry due to its potential to treat various skin conditions. Below, we will discuss what you need to know about managing skin conditions with CBD.
What is CBD?
Before we dive into how CBD can help ease various skin conditions, it helps to know more about what the compound is and the effects it has on the body. CBD is taken from the cannabis plant, but it does not contribute to the psychoactive effects that we associate with cannabis when used as a drug – it’s all-natural and will not contribute to a ‘high’ feeling.
It works by interacting with the endocannabinoid system, which works to keep our body functioning as it should – for example, the digestive and immune systems, and appetite. CBD helps to keep the ECS balanced for all-around improved health.
One of CBD’s most notable benefits is that it can provide a natural anti-inflammatory effect without the side effects that can present with over-the-counter drugs. It changes the way receptors in the ECS respond to pain and reduces swelling and redness. So, how does that help us to manage skin conditions? …
Understanding Skin Conditions
Before we delve into how CBD can help manage skin conditions, let’s understand some common skin conditions. Some of the most common skin conditions include:
- Acne: Acne is a skin condition characterised by pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads. It occurs when the hair follicles become clogged with oil and dead skin cells.
- Eczema: Eczema is a skin condition that causes the skin to become dry, itchy, and inflamed. It is caused by an overactive immune system.
- Psoriasis: Psoriasis is a skin condition that causes the skin to become red, itchy, and scaly. It occurs when the immune system mistakenly attacks healthy skin cells.
- Rosacea: Rosacea is a skin condition that causes redness, visible blood vessels, and small bumps on the face. It is often triggered by environmental factors, such as sun exposure, stress, or spicy foods.
How CBD Can Help
CBD can help manage various skin conditions due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation is a common factor in many skin conditions, and reducing inflammation can help alleviate symptoms.
- Acne: CBD can help reduce acne by reducing inflammation and regulating oil production. CBD can also inhibit the growth of acne-causing bacteria.
- Eczema: CBD can help reduce eczema symptoms by reducing inflammation and itching. CBD can also help regulate the immune system, which can be helpful for people with eczema.
- Psoriasis: CBD can help reduce psoriasis symptoms by reducing inflammation and slowing down the growth of skin cells.
- Rosacea: CBD can help reduce rosacea symptoms by reducing inflammation and calming the skin. CBD can also help regulate oil production, which can be helpful for people with oily skin.
Choosing the Right CBD Product
When it comes to managing skin conditions with CBD, it is essential to choose the right product. There are various CBD products available, such as topicals, oils, and capsules. Topicals are the most popular option for managing skin conditions, as they can be applied directly to the affected area.
When choosing a CBD topical, it is important to look for products that contain high-quality CBD and other beneficial ingredients, such as aloe vera, vitamin E, and essential oils. It is also important to choose a product that is specifically formulated for your skin type and condition.
It is also important to note that CBD products are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Therefore, it is important to do your research and choose a reputable brand that provides third-party lab results to ensure the product’s quality and potency.
Using CBD Safely
CBD is generally considered safe, but it can cause side effects in some people when consumed orally, such as dry mouth, diarrhea, and fatigue. It is also important to note that CBD can interact with some medications, so it is essential to talk to your healthcare provider before using CBD.
When using CBD topicals, it is important to follow the instructions carefully and start with a small amount to see how your skin reacts. It is also important to avoid applying CBD topicals to open wounds or broken skin.
How to choose a reputable CBD product
When choosing a reputable CBD brand, it’s important to do your research and look for certain key factors. First, make sure the brand is transparent about its sourcing and extraction methods and provides third-party lab testing results to ensure the purity and potency of its products.
Additionally, check for customer reviews and feedback to gauge the brand’s reputation and effectiveness. Look for brands that have been in the industry for a while and have a good track record of producing high-quality CBD products.
Finally, make sure the brand follows all legal regulations and guidelines for CBD production and distribution.